The Peabody Fire Department’s mission is to respond to fires, medical emergencies, disasters and terrorist acts, and protect the lives and property of Peabody businesses, residents and visitors. Additionally, the Department’s pursuit of public safety through its fire prevention, investigation and education programs allows us to make significant contributions towards the safety of the citizens of Massachusetts and enhances our abilities to keep our homeland safe.
Permits are required for the installation/repair/alteration of Fire Protection Systems, including, but not limited to, fire alarm, sprinkler and hood suppression systems. Plans for these life safety systems must be submitted in advance to the Fire Prevention Office (47 Lowell Street) for approval and issuance of the applicable permit. This process can take up to ten (10) business days. Fees for life safety systems are assessed based on the size of the project: $35, $60 or $110. These permits are valid for 60 days.
The head of the fire department or his designee shall have the authority to issue the following permit types, as described in 527 CMR and M.G.L. c. 148.
- Bonfires & Burning of Christmas Trees
- Bowling Pin & Lane Refinishing
- Cannon & Mortar Firing
- Cellulose Nitrate Film
- Combustible Fibers
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
- Covered Mall Buildings
- Crop Ripening or Color Processing
- Dust Explosion Prevention
- Explosives & Black Powder
- Fire Protection Equipment
- Fire Protection System
- Fireworks Display
- Fireworks, Manufacture, Storage & Handling
- Flammable Gases and Solids
- Fuel Transfer Operations
- Fumigation & Insecticidal Fogging
- Hazardous Substances, Left Unattended
- Limited Special Effects
- Open Air Fires
- Ovens & Furnaces
- Rubbish Containers
- Special Seasonal Decorations
- Storage, Combustible Materials
- Tank Vehicles Parked Overnight
- Tanks & Containers
- Tar Kettles on Roofs
- Tent/Canopy Permit
- Tire Recapping & Rebuilding Plants
- Tire Storage
- Torches & Heat Producing Devices
- Transportation of Combustible Liquids
Fire Prevention Department Hours
Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday
8:30 – 4:00 p.m.
8:30 – 7:00 p.m.
8:30 – 12:30 p.m.